Richmond VA and Surrounding Area
Staff Bio & Certificates
Hi, My Name is Urvashi Mehta
How to Pronounce My Name
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Board-Certified Clinical Sexologist based in the Richmond VA area. I have been providing trauma informed therapy, counseling, psychotherapy, and mental health care for a little over 20 years. As you can see from below, most of my work has centered around forensics, sexuality, and trauma but during my off-time I found myself gravitating towards the esoteric. For almost a decade, I belonged to a local paranormal investigative group and served as the, “sensitive,” communicating with the supernatural. As a Reiki Master, I provided holistic services to those diagnosed with AIDS/HIV as well as to breast cancer survivors. Over the years, the Energy Work began to take a life of its own and it developed into the services here at Aura Holistic Counseling.
January 2007 to January 2017:
Department of Veterans Affairs Miami, FL & Richmond, VA
- Combat and Military Sexual Trauma Counselor: 01/07-04/14
- Caregiver Support Coordinator: 04/14-01/17
Combat/Military Sexual Trauma Counselor: Provided individual and group psychotherapy to Military Veterans who survived combat and sexual. Provided Marriage & Family therapy to Military Veterans and their significant others and families. Provided transgender related counseling to Military Veterans considering SRS (Sex Reassignment Surgery).
Caregiver Support Coordinator: Developed and implemented the Caregiver Support Program and collaborated local facility with VA Central Office. Assessed caregiver stress/burden and the development and application of directed clinical treatment interventions. Provided education and in-service training to VA employees, Veterans, families and caregivers as well as ongoing consultation and support to colleagues regarding caregiver support. Conducted caregiver, marriage and family clinical interventions to facilitate the identification of caregiver stress, psychiatric illness, emotional distress and social needs as treatment issues (related to PTSD/TBI/Violence).
June 2001 to January 2007:
Broward Correctional Institution, Maximum Security Female Prison
Mental Health Unit Pembroke Pines, FL
Behavioral Health Specialist
Provided counseling treatment to inmates sentenced to 25+ years or more (Life Sentence), inmates on Death Row, and Female Sex Offenders. Designed and conducted Pilot (and ongoing) Female Sex Offender Groups. Conducted research re: Female Sex Offender Program. Evaluated offenders via on-site psychological assessments; screened committed persons prior to Community Correctional Center placement. Evaluated committed persons for possible transfer to psychiatric treatment facility. Provided crisis intervention, intense therapeutic treatment.
August 2003 to January 2007:
Mental Health Association of Broward County Ft Lauderdale, FL
Supervise Seth Line (a peer support telephone warm line) mental health consumers volunteering to answer calls from those in need. Ensure SETH line calls are answered in a timely and appropriate manner. Provide volunteers with continued education and training. Intervene with crisis intervention to both the callers and volunteers as needed. Facilitate in the grant writing process for funding purposes. Complete monthly and quarterly reports for administrative purposes. Utilize public relations opportunities for the purpose
of serving a wider scope of clientele.
September 2000 to May 2001:
Jackson Memorial Hospital
Employee Assistance Program
University of Miami / Jackson Memorial Hospital Miami, FL
Provided assessment and individual counseling to hospital employees from varied ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. Planned, implemented and evaluated treatment of clients with issues of mood, anxiety, personality, learning disability, chemical dependency, financial instability, and workplace difficulties. Provided crisis intervention, completed psychosocial intakes. Conducted educational seminars for corporate Employee Assistance Program clients, hospital employee seminars, and staff in-service training.
September 1999 to May 2000:
Florida Memorial College (now Florida Memorial University)
Student Support Services
Provided brief and long-term counsel to college students. Created and maintained two Sexual Relationship Workshops for those who demonstrated difficulty in sexual and romantic relationships. Group work included psycho-education and support. Created a single-session group for students who demonstrated difficulty maintaining effective academic relationships with their professors. Interventions included support and problem solving.
April 1998 to August 1999
YWCA Women’s Advocacy Program
Women’s Group Therapy Co-facilitator: Aided Social Worker in mediating discussions held during the group therapy of battered and sexually assaulted women. Community Educator: Spoke to organizations including public schools, churches and private businesses, regarding sexual assault, harassment, rape and all other forms of abuse. Hospital Advocate: Assisted sexual assault survivors in hospital settings with the DNA testing process (PERK – Physical Evidence Recovery Kit) provided by the State Government by providing emotional support, informing them of their legal rights, and providing education around sexual assault.
Virginia Licensed Clinical Social Worker (0904009349)
Florida Licensed Clinical Social Worker (SW 8285, Qualified Supervisor)
Board Certified Sex Therapist (#2728)
American Board of Sexology Ft. Lauderdale & Miami Beach, FL
Doctor of Philosophy
American Academy of Clinical Sexology Orlando & Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Master of Social Work
Barry University School of Social Work Miami Shores, FL
Bachelor of Science, Psychology
Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA
- American Academy of Clinical Sexologists (AACS), Board Certified Member
- Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT), Professional Member
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW), Professional Member
- The American Board of Sexology, Diplomate
- EMDRIA: EMDR International Organization, Full Member
- Counseling Rape Victims
- Peer Counseling
- Spirituality in Social Work
- Death and Bereavement
- Crisis Intervention Stress Debriefing
- The Life Cycle of Adolescents
- Alternative Therapeutic Healing
- Healing Touch Level I
- Group Works
- Reiki Master
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing
- The Antisocial Personality & Criminal Thinking
- Private Practice & Managed Care
- Asia Pacific Conference of Sexology-Mumbai, India
- Certification in Sex Therapy
- Human Diversity in the D.O.C.
- Forensics in Mental Health
- Inmate Manipulation in the D.O.C.
- HIV and the D.O.C.
- Substance Abuse & Relapse Prevention: Presented by Terence Gorski
- Counseling Military Sexual Trauma Veterans
- Key Clinical Issues: Crisis Reporting
- TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Research Findings and Treatment Strategies
- PTSD: Evidence Based Treatment
- Understanding the Co-Morbidity between Substance Abuse & PTSD
- PTSD & the Aging Process: WWII to Vietnam Era
- Provider Fatigue: Taking Care of the Caregiver
- Bereavement & Grief Counseling Interventions
- Combat Trauma and PTSD
- Military Sexual Trauma and PTSD
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Seeking Safety
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- War and Military Trauma
- Rape in Context: Cultural Considerations – Military Sexual Trauma Treatment Issues
- Evaluation and Universal Screening for MST (Military Sexual Trauma)
- Meeting the Diverse Mental Health Needs of Veterans
- Combat Trauma: Its Destructive Effects on the Minds of Soldiers and Their Children
- Framework of Structural Family Therapy: Presented by Salvador Minuchin
- Traumatic Brain Injury and the Veteran
- Surviving the Battle: Strategies for Trauma Recovery for Veterans, Their Families, and Community Based Trauma Care: Presented by Urvashi Mehta & Patrick Murphy and Hosted by The Mental Health Association of Broward County (MHA)
- Trauma Recovery for Veterans: Presented by Urvashi Mehta & Patrick Murphy and Hosted by Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA South Florida Chapter) & MHA
- Combat Trauma Healing Approaches: Presented by Urvashi Mehta & Patrick Murphy and Hosted by Florida Alcohol and Drug Abuse Association (FADAA)
- Combat Trauma Healing Approaches for Advanced Clinicians: Presented by Urvashi Mehta & Patrick Murphy
- Veterans and Hostage Negotiations (an ongoing training provided to local law enforcement): Presented by Urvashi Mehta & Patrick Murphy
- The Incarcerated Female Sex Offender Population: presented by Urvashi Mehta and Hosted by Florida Metropolitan University.
Therapy to help clients manage issues related to mental health diagnoses such as anxiety, depression, and Post Traumatic Stress, as well as social issues, grief/bereavement, trauma, and stress.
Therapy to help those in relationships manage stress, disputes, troublesome dynamics, and/or irreconcilable differences. Inclusive of all genders, sexual orientations, Ethnicities, cultures, & races.
Therapy to help those in family units and/or Groups/Teams manage disputes, stress, communication, and troublesome dynamics. Inclusive of all genders, sexual orientations, cultures, races, and ethnicities.
Our Certified Sex Therapist and Licensed Marriage Counselor specializes in gay, lesbian, queer, transgender, pansexual, asexual, bisexual, transsexual, and transgender care
Hypnotherapy is a form of counseling in which a certified hypnotherapist induces a trance like state in which you remain in control, but you are extremely focused on the issue being discussed, similar to some who play video games.
Past Life Regression
This service is provided in hypnotherapy to achieve the previously explained hypnotherapeutic goals. When healing thru past life regression & past life analysis, you are in control the WHOLE time.
EMDR stands for (rapid) eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. It is considered to be an evidence-based practice in which a certified specialist helps you reduce – or even eliminate – challenges you currently face as they relate to disturbing events you may have experienced.
Typically, Energy Clearing is a service provided in Reiki as well as most forms of energy work as well as remote healing. A practitioner rids a client’s Chakras (energy centers) of blockage. Blockages typically result in physical, emotional, spiritual, or mental ailments.
Typically, a service provided in Reiki as well as most forms of energy work including remote healing. Sometimes our energy centers, like our backs, get out of alignment, or, some parts are stronger than others. The clinician ensures that all the energy centers work in a balanced & harmonious way.
Service in which the provider receives messages to help a client’s growth & enlightenment as it relates to spiritual, emotional, and mental health.